We are hiring! Despite the challenges of 2020 so far, BHA are going from strength to strength so we are on the lookout for a new arboriculturist to join us.
Are you an experienced, highly-qualified and passionate arboriculturist looking for a new opportunity to grow your career? If so, please read the job description and person specification below and get in touch if you would like to discuss this role.
To apply: please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. No recruiters or canvassers, please!
Job Title: Senior Arboriculturist
Based at: Oxpens Farm, Yanworth, Northleach, Gloucestershire, GL54 3QE
Salary: dependant on skills and experience but likely range £35-45k
About Barton Hyett Associates Ltd
BHA are a forward-thinking, ambitious and friendly arboricultural consultancy practice established in 2009. We are passionate about delivering high-quality advice to a wide range of clients across the UK. We want to see urban trees better planned and cared for so that the multiple benefits of trees can be better realised.
We are based in a rural office in beautiful countryside in the Cotswolds. Typically most of our arboriculturists are out of the office carrying out site visits for about half of the working week, but all are expected to attend the office for one or two days per week to foster our sense of team.
BHA’s core range of services are the provisions of tree surveys, inspections and professional advice to those involved in development planning and the management of trees.
We are looking for a highly experienced Arboriculturist to:
- provide high-quality professional advice about amenity trees to a range of clients. This will involve undertaking surveys and assessments of trees and preparing written and verbal advice.
- support the existing team of arboriculturists in serving the existing and expanding client base.
- help drive forward the standards and the services provided by the company.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Carry out on-site assessment of trees and woodlands for a variety of purposes including tree risk assessment, development planning and good arboricultural management. Tree assessments will include ground-based visual inspections, aerial (climbed) inspections and detailed assessments using specialist equipment.
- Provide high-quality technical advice (written and verbal) to clients for a variety of purposes.
- Liaise with clients and colleagues regarding project management, preparation of reports and ongoing arboricultural advice.
- Input into the preparation of technical drawings and plans by collaborating with our graphics technician.
- Maintain clear and accurate records of all work tasks.
- Prepare fee proposals for new work.
- Prepare invoices for works completed.
- Input into the ongoing development of company process and procedures.
- Attend training and to develop relevant knowledge and skills.
- Self-driven with a positive outlook and a focus on high-quality of service.
- A natural forward planner who can critically assesses own performance and develop.
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined.
- An empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Able to get on with others in a team working environment.
- Able to manage own workload.
- Keen for new experience, responsibility and accountability.
- Willing to be part of a growing company with exciting project work and future opportunities.
Specific job skills:
- Excellent tree identification and visual tree assessment.
- Experience and confidence in recording survey information on digital data-capture devices.
- Ability to convey complex technical information in a clear, understandable way in written reports and through conversation.
- Knowledge of the concepts of urban forestry.
- Expertise in tree planting and maintenance.
- At least 5 years of post-qualification (highest level) is required.
- Experience of undertaking surveys and writing professional reports.
- This role would suit someone that has already worked in a consultancy role.
- Experience of working as a local authority tree officer (planning) would be advantageous.
- An arboricultural qualification at, or above, the QCF level 4.
- An arboricultural qualification at, or above, the QCF level 6 is highly desirable, but exceptions may be made for outstanding candidates with an extensive and proven experience.
- A blend of relevant experience and professional accreditations (e.g. LANTRA Professional Tree Inspection, Quantified Tree Risk Assessment) is highly desirable.
- Professional memberships e.g. Professional membership of the Arboricultural Association and/or Institute of Chartered Foresters would be a distinct advantage.
- Must be fully literate in the use of MS Word and Excel.
- Ideally the candidate will also be able to use Mac computers (including Pages and Numbers).
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or Vectorworks would be beneficial.
- A knowledge of, or experience of using ArcGIS Collector would also be a benefit.
Literacy and numeracy:
- Must be literate and able to write clearly and confidently using a wide vocabulary.
- Able to use mathematics appropriate to the role.
- An eye for detail with regards to spelling and grammar is essential.
- Experience of managing, project, meeting contract requirements and performance indicators.
- Experience of costing project work and preparing fee proposals, invoices and budget management.
- Ability to effectively contribute to the preparation of tenders.
- Although direct line management of internal staff management is not part of the role, responsibility and opportunity could grow with the development of the business.
- Some people-management skills and experience would be beneficial.
- Must have clean or near clean driving licence.
- Able to commute reliably to the office base.
- Must have a level of fitness appropriate for the requirements of the role.
- Able to occasionally spend nights away from home as may be required by specific projects.
What we can offer you:
- 21 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working arrangements
- Company pension scheme
- Program of CPD
Closing date: September 18th, 2020